Saturday 5 September 2015

Nicole's Grace Kelly Wedding Dress









Hitchcock Grace Kelly Dress




Yesterday our lovely customer Nicole was wed at the Thames Rowing Club, London. I had worked with Nicole before on a fabulous leopard print dress and was very excited when she came back to me asking for the Grace Kelly Rear Window dress.*

I adore Edith Head, she is one of the greatest costume designers ever to grace the screen and Rear Window 1954 is up there with the best fashion in film. Grace Kelly's dress is one of the most famous gowns of Hollywood and I leaped at the chance to work on my version of it.

There is another very elegant little black dress in the film, one with a sheer organza bodice. Nicole was looking for a sweetheart bodice with a sheer overlay, and using reference from the film I designed the dress as a combination of the two. This was Nicole's dress was hers and not just a copy of Grace's.

The final dress was made in a sheer silk organza with silk bodice and covered buttons detailing the back. The full circle skirt was made up of two full circles and hand appliqued with hand clipped corded lace.

After many, many, many hours of hand stitching, the dress was complete with it's beautiful full skirt floating on top of a tulle underskirt.

Congratulations to Nicole and Parker! The official photos will be coming x

*Just to get this straight. This is a homage to Edith Head's design. 
I usually HATE it when people send me a picture of another designers dress, asking if I can make 'something' like it, oh and cheaper. Sadly I get this a lot. It's an insult to me, down right disrespectful to the original designer and illegal IP theft. Please don't do it.